Tuesday, March 29, 2011

First Day on the Job Site!

Hey All...quick post before we all head to night night land! This is Molly Dugan (on Jess Lee's log-in, I think). Today was our first day on the job site. We ended up splitting between two houses. One group hung dry wall, the other did a variety of odd jobs. Both had equally rewarding days.

The group hanging dry wall (don't worry...not me and my boot!) worked with the executive team of the Miami Bank of America. From what I have been told, it was quite the experience (and not just because the B of A people brought Cuban coffee and pastries!). It seems like a few of our students made quite the impression on the execs and have possible internships lined up! Go Converse!

The other group did odd jobs all day around a house that is in the final stages of completion. We were told we were painting...OK! I can paint (I thought to myself). Painting was a liberal description of our day. We did paint...for about 30 minutes to touch the walls up, then we graded a driveway (I was the cheerleader/videographer), scraped and swept the floors to prep them for tile, and raked rocks (yes, really). We also had a few people that planted shrubs and busted up concrete with a sledgehammer. Oh, and Jalisa and I vacuumed. Odd jobs to the max...the 65th Ave crew will be sore tomorrow!

Also, I believe there is a video posted on here (or will be soon) of Eugenio, the homeowner of the house we were working on. He was awesome! He gave us a tour of his house and showed us where each of his kids would live. He was so excited that we were there to help and build on his house. It was such an inspiration to everyone, which I think you can understand through the video.

This evening, we met Carlos (from Habitat) for Cuban food. Oh yum! I think we all ate ourselves into a food coma time a hundred but it was GOOD! If anyone travels to Miami, visit Sergios. You won't be disappointed.

Ok, it's time to pass out so we can get up and do it again tomorrow.

Still Counts,
Molly

1 comment: